Semester: 1, 2017-2018
Teacher Name: Mr. David Vance
This course emphasizes the consolidation of the literacy, communication, and critical and creative thinking skills necessary for success in academic and daily life. Students will analyse a range of challenging literary texts from various periods, countries, and cultures; interpret and evaluate informational and graphic texts; and create oral, written, and media texts in a variety of forms. An important focus will be on using academic language coherently and confidently, selecting the reading strategies best suited to particular texts and particular purposes for reading, and developing greater control in writing. The course is intended to prepare students for university, college, or the workplace.
Important Dates and Upcoming Evaluations
- Thursday, September 21: Mini-grammar evaluation on Commas, Colons, and Semi-Colons
- Tuesday, September 26: All materials (including presentations and handouts) must be shared with the teacher by the beginning of class for the song analysis presentations (for the ten students who signed up for this evaluation instead of the poetry collection evaluation). See these instructions for details.
- Tuesday, October 3: Poetry and Society test
- Friday, October 6: Poetry Collection assignments due at beginning of class. See these instructions for more information.
Grammar task we’re currently completing:
Typically, we will study grammar on Mondays and Thursdays. Right now:
- Students should complete the grammar worksheet on COLONS and SEMI-COLONS!
Vocabulary words we’re currently working on:
Typically, on Tuesdays and Fridays we will study vocabulary. Students should have sensible definitions recorded for each of these words, and underneath, they should include one sentence of their own creation to demonstrate mastery of its use:
- menial (adj.)