Level: University / College
Semester: 1, 2017-2018
Teacher Name: Mr. David Vance
This course emphasizes the development of literacy, communication, and critical and creative thinking skills necessary for success in academic and daily life. Students will analyze challenging literary texts from various periods, countries, and cultures, as well as a range of informational and graphic texts, and create oral, written, and media texts in a variety of forms. An important focus will be on using language with precision and clarity and incorporating stylistic devices appropriately and effectively. The course is intended to prepare students for the compulsory Grade 12 university or college preparation course.
Important Dates and Upcoming Evaluations
- Tuesday, September 19: Body paragraph #2 of All or Nothing Essay due. See the instructions for the university-level assignment here and the college-level assignment here. The required articles are below:
- Thursday, September 14: Short story presentations begin (for those students who did not sign up to write a story or create a poster). See these instructions for details. The short stories to be examined are found below:
- Friday, September 29: Short story test
- Thursday, October 5: Short story and poster creations due (for those who chose this over the short story presentations). See these instructions for details.
Grammar task we’re currently completing:
Typically, we will study grammar on Mondays and Thursdays. Right now:
- Students should complete the first two sections of the worksheet on NOUNS!
Vocabulary words we’re currently working on:
Typically, on Tuesdays and Fridays we will study vocabulary. Students should have sensible definitions recorded for each of these words, and underneath, they should include one sentence of their own creation to demonstrate mastery of its use: